Rubber Grass Mats
The Ultimate Guide to Rubber Grass Mat Rolls
What are rubber grass mats?
A rubber grass mat is built for grass protection and safety flooring. It can be laid on top of an even or uneven surface, including existing grass, soil and concrete.
The specially designed structure of rubber grass mats gives a strong and durable surface with effective drainage which also allows the grass below to grow through and maintain an area’s natural appearance.
They are incredibly versatile and are easy to install. All these benefits make them highly suitable for a large number of applications.
How do rubber grass mats work?
Rubber grass mats are the ideal choice for lawns and play areas.
The mats help to reduce erosion by protecting each individual blade. Once the grass has regrown through the holes, they maintain a completely natural appearance.
The anti-slip rubber materials is designed to ensure safety. It provides immediate traction to vehicles so can be used straight away.
The mats are 10.5m long can simply be rolled into place and secured using plastic fixing pegs or by using cable ties.
Where are rubber grass mats used?
Rubber matting is anti fatigue flooring suitable for a large number of applications:
- Low-level play areas
- Temporary events
- Equestrian areas
- Golf courses
- Grass walkway matting
- Work stations
- Domestic gardens
- Landscaping projects
What are the key features of rubber grass mats?
The key features of rubber grass mats include:
Versatile: These can be used in practically any application; indoor or outdoor.
Porous: The entire surface of a grass mat is covered in holes, meaning water can drain away quickly.
Flexible: The floor mats are manufactured from flexible, durable rubber. This design means they follow the contour of the ground.
Non-slip: The texture provides protection against slipping even in frost and snowy conditions.
Easy to use: Grass mats are easy to install by laying in place and fixing with pegs and connecting adjacent mats with cable ties.
Protective: The mats protect the root and blade of grass from erosion from foot traffic.
Safe: Grass mats also offer protection against critical falls from a height of up to 3.3m, ensuring they are ideal for playgrounds.
Rubber Grass Mats
How to install rubber grass mats
Rubber grass matting can be installed in 10 simple steps:
- The first step is to measure and mark out the place where the rubber grass mats will be installed. Then cut the grass short and remove all clippings and debris.
- Using a good quality sand topsoil level out uneven areas. Then firm the surface or turf the area.
- If the site is prone to becoming wet and soft, a lightweight plastic (GrassMesh450) can provide additional structural support.
- Lay out the rubber grass mats on the proposed area. The mats can be cut to fit around any play equipment or obstacles.
- Starting at one perimeter edge, proceed around the area ensuring each mat is firmly against each other. Using cable ties at 150mm intervals, fasten all the edges tightly together.
- Secure the grass mats using plastic fixing pegs.
- Use a spade or half-moon edging tool, cut a slit into the ground along the perimeter edge of the rubber grass mats to a depth of around 75mm.
- Roll back the edge of the rubber grass mat and use a spade cut a wedged shaped slice of turf, starting approximately 150mm from the slit and working away from the rolled back mat to leave a wedge shaped exposed soil channel. Continue this operation around the perimeter of the rubber grass mats.
- Roll the edge of the rubber grass mats down into the exposed wedge shaped channel. Pin the edge to the ground with plastic fixing pegs through the small holes (intervals of 500mm).
- Refill the exposed ramped edge to the original ground level with topsoil. Trim a layer of soil from the retained turf to give an appropriate thickness of around 50mm. Re-bed the turf over the filled rubber grass mats and firm it into place. The grass will grow through the mats within 4-6 weeks and can be mowed as normal.
Rubber Grass Mats Case Study: Fitness equipment flooring
Fitness Tree, a fitness equipment company, needed a suitable flooring solution installed under their innovative exercise rig.
They needed a flooring product that would:
- Allow drainage to prevent localised flooding.
- Protect grass and prevent turf from being destroyed.
- Give sufficient support to the user
Fitness Trees are easy to use, effective and accessible home-based fitness stations. They’re manufactured from play quality timber, and are equipped with a height-adjustable and multi-purpose galvanised steel exercise attachment branch. With 100 different exercises it makes home fitness even easier.
The rubber grass mats are specially designed with holes throughout the mat to allow efficient drainage and to promote grass growth. The mats are also incredibly discreet and tested with a critical floor height ensures a safer landing should any trips or falls occur during exercise.
The Fitness Tree told us: “In order to protect the grass while training, Fitness Trees rely heavily on the large heavy duty rubber grass protection mats. They allow the grass to grow through the mat which provides a protective layer. Working out on the Fitness Tree most days will take its toll on the grass if it is not protected.
Find Out More
To find out more, give us a call on 01246 418114 or contact us here.
Rubber Grass Mats